Last week we made delicious vegan sloppy joes. We were missing a few ingredients so they weren’t as smoked as they could have been but they were still delicious!
Here’s the recipe to make some nice vegan sloppy joes and convert your non-vegan friends 😉
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- Coleslaw for topping, if desired
- Hamburger buns
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Place lentils in a pot and cover with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook lentils until tender and cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Season with a pinch of salt and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Next, add the remaining BBQ sauce ingredients and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cooked lentils and chickpeas to the BBQ sauce and cook for another 5-10 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Scoop the sloppy joe mix onto the buns and top with coleslaw if desired.