Happy snow day y’all!
In a snowy day like this what better recipe than a hot leak and potato soup to warm up our hearts? Last week we made this at Mohubb’s and it certainly was a success!
- 3 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 large or 3-4 small leeks, dark green stems removed, washed thoroughly and sliced thinly
- 3 large Yukon gold or yellow potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- Optional: 4 cups washed and chopped kale, collard greens, or spinach
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks have completely cooked down. Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Add the broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are so tender that they’re almost falling apart. Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend about half the soup, so that it has a creamy, thick texture but chunks of potato and celery are still visible.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and adjust salt and pepper to taste. If you’d like to add greens, stir them in now and keep simmering the soup until they’re wilted and tender. Serve the soup with toppings of choice (chives and or finely chopped roasted Brussel sprouts are great options!)