Whether you are lactose intolerant, vegan or an omnivore curious to try something new cashew cheese is what you want!
I did not know that making vegan cheese could be so easy and that the result would be such a delicious, creamy cheese-like spread!
Cashews can be expensive but if you buy them in bulk and in large quantities usually you can get a pretty good deal. I would really encourage you to try this out, it’s soooo worth it!!
- 2 cups raw cashews soaked in filtered water for 2 – 4 hours (soaking is optional) or roasted ones (I used these ones)
- 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup filtered water as needed for desired consistency
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 to 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
- Put the cashews, nutritional yeast, 1/2 of the water, 1/2 of the lemon juice, garlic and sea salt in the food processor and pulse until roughly blended.
- Gradually add in more lemon juice, garlic and salt to taste.
- Transfer the cheese to a bowl, and stir through the parsley (if using).
You can get very creative and add herbs or more garlic if you’d like. You can even make a sweet version with any type of syrup… just let your IMAGINATION run wild 🙂 !