Hi dear blogees,
here’s the long-awaited recipe for last week’s delicious chili!
I also would like to thank all the volunteers who helped me out in the preparing and serving of the food and the clean-up! My job would not be as fun without ALL of YOU!
Special thanks to Marli for the amazing tarte crue, I really love collaborative cooking and would like to see more people wanting to bring a part of their culture into Mohubb’s! 🙂
Until next recipe!
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 1 level teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- sea salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- a bunch of fresh coriander
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 canned beans (such as kidney or black beans) and 1 chickpeas.
- 2 canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 canned corn
- rice flour
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite-sized chunks.
2. Peel and roughly chop the onion. Halve, deseed and roughly chop the peppers. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Dice the carrots.
3. Pick the coriander leaves and put aside, then finely chop the stalks. finely chop the chillies.
4. Meanwhile, put a large pan over a medium-high heat and add a couple lugs of olive oil. Add the onion, peppers and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add the coriander stalks, chilli and spices and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring every couple of minutes.
6. Drain the beans, then tip them into the pan with the tinned tomatoes. Stir well and bring to the boil, then reduce to a medium-low heat and leave to tick away for 25 to 30 minutes, or until thickened and reduced. Keep an eye on it, and add a splash of water if it gets a bit thick (add water if needed).
7. Stir the sweet potato through your chilli with most of the coriander leaves. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if you think it needs it.
8 Add 1 cup of warm water to half a cup of rice flour. mix in a separate container and then pour in chili to add thickness.
9. Scatter the remaining leaves over the top, and serve with some guacamole and rice or tortilla chips.