Hello my dear blogees,
this week’s recipe is one of my favourite cakes: ORANGE CAKE!
I have recently learned that citrus cake is not very common in North America. But growing up in Southern Italy, land of some of the best citrus you can have, this cake is part of my long comfort foods list.
The recipe is quite straight forward, but like all baking, it requires some concentration and good measurements.
- flour – 1 1/2 cups
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Light brown sugar – 1/2 cup, packed
- Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- Oil – 1/3 cup Notes
- Orange juice – 1 cup
- Orange zest – 2 tablespoon (from 1 1/2 oranges)
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degree F or 190 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
- Butter and flour cake pan. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of flour. swirl the pan so flour will stick to greased surface (all over pan and also around the edges). Now invert the pan over a sink or garbage and tap it gently with your hand to remove excess flour.
- Keep it aside your prepared cake pan.
- Take dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar).
- Whisk it well so everything gets incorporated.
- Take wet ingredients (oil, orange juice, vanilla extract, vinegar) in a bowl along with orange zest. Whisk it well.
- Add wet to dry.
- And whisk till all comes together and becomes a smooth batter.
- Now pour the batter in to prepared pan. Tap it lightly on you counter, it will help to remove air bubbles from batter.
- Bake it into pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes. Always check 2-3 minutes before mentioned time. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. If it comes out clear then cake is ready.
- Let it cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes. Then run the knife around the edges to loosen the cake. And remove it to the cooling rack. Let it cool completely before decorating or spreading icing.
OPTIONAL:to make it more interesting, you can caramelize some orange slices and put them on top. It’s very easy and the result is totally worth the extra stretch!
Simply slice a couple oranges, quite thin. place them in a baking tray then sprinkle some brown sugar on top and maple syrup if you want. Put in Oven for about then minutes or until the sugar is completely melted and caramelized!