I know, I know… I skipped a week… But don’t worry, you’ll get it all.
This week was awesome (at least for me it was) ! SO, we had ‘Life-Giving Spinach Polenta Lasagna’, a nice salad with tahini dressing, and the very popular zucchini and banana muffins/cake/bread (menoum!).
SPINACH POLENTA LASAGNA (taken from “Vegan on Shoestring #2” by the People’s Potato (PP) Collective, with personal notes. By the way, you can get the PP Collective Cookbook at the PP kitchen or at the Frigo-vert)
INGREDIENTS (C =cup, T =Tablespoon, t =teaspoon)
- 3 C polenta (which I made… here’s another recipe you’ll need)
- 2 bags of spinach (600g), washed and roughly chopped
- 1½ C chick peas, cooked (or more)
- 2 C mushrooms, sliced
- 2-2½ T olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 T fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 800mL canned diced tomatoes, with juices
- nutritional yeast, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
+ my personal touch
- 2 C zucchini, cubed (or so… 😉 )
- Rosemary, to taste
- Sage, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add chickpeas to cooked polenta while hot. Spread the polenta evenly in a 13″x19″ baking pan.
- In a saucepan, sauté garlic and bayleaf over medium-high heat in 1 T olive oil. Add tomatoes, rosemary, and salt & pepper and cook for 15 min. Remove bay leaf and set aside. (You can also let it simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients)
- Sauté spinach in ½ T olive oil in frying pan until is has wilted and set aside (I added leek to fry with)
- Sauté mushrooms and zucchinis in ½-1 T olive oil with sage until mushrooms browned and set aside. (I mixed it with the tomato sauce)
- Cover polenta with a layer of spinach, mushrooms & zucchinis (if not already mix with the tomato sauce), then spoon a generous layer of tomato sauce over the top. Sprinkle chopped basil.
- Cover pan with foil (or not) and bake for 20-25 min until heated through (the sauce will boil on the side). For a cheesy flavor, sprinkle nutritional yeast over the top before serving.
BASIC POLENTA (also from “Vegan on a Shoestring #2)
INGREDIENTS (yields 1L, approximately 4 C)
- 6 C vegetable stock
- 2 t salt (which for me are optional, keeping in mind that stock usually have too much salt already)
- 1¾ C yellow cornmeal
- 3 T olive oil
- ¼ C nutritional yeast
- Bring 6 C of stock to a boil in a heavy large sauce pan. Add 2 t salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal. (gradually is important because you don`t want to be stock with chunks of uncooked cornmeal but rather a nice & even mixture)
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, stirring often, about 15 min.
- Turn off the heat. Add the olive oil and nutritional yeast. Stir until well incorporated.
The Famous ZUCCHINI & BANANA MUFFINS/BREAD/CAKE
This recipe I didn’t know anything about. I had this suggestion by a volunteer so I checked it out on internet and found many recipes with alternatives to choose from. And while making it, I realized I needed to alter the recipe – too much sugar and oil, as you could have guessed. You were many to asked for the recipe so I guess it was a success! 🙂
- 1 large very ripe banana, mashed (½ to 1C of mached banana)
- ¼ C vegetable oil (you may need less)
- ¾ C sugar (depending on the amount of banana: the more banana, the less sugar is needed – I only use ⅓ C)
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 zucchini, grated (= about 1 C. You can use up to 2 C with the same recipe)
- 1½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 t cinnamon
- ¼ t allspice or nutmeg
- ¾ t baking soda
- ¾ t salt
You can also pimp them with:
- ½ C walnuts, chopped
- ½ C raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease muffin/bread/13″x9″ pan.
- Mix the mashed banana, oil, sugar, and vanilla together.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg/allspice, baking soda, and salt. Combine.
- *Stir in the walnuts and/or raisins, if you chose to add those
- Scoop into muffin tins ¾ full and cook for 20-22 min. *For bread, cook for 90 min. *For 13″x9″ pan, cook approximately 45 min. To know if your baking is reading, you can use a toothpick and pick it in the middle of your baking product. If cooked, it should came out dry
Voilà! Hope you’ll have fun!