Hey guys, thanks to everybody that came out lasagna night last week. We had a great time and ate through 5 massive lasagnas. Along with it we severed a vegan Cesar salad. A lot of people had to ask if it was really vegan because of the creamy dressing. The secret is soft silken tofu. Silken is a Japanese brand of tofu that is…well silkier than Chinese tofu. It can be used to add creaminess to any recipe without adding all the fat of cream or mayonnaise.
Next week will be General Toa tofu, so see you then.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach or three bunches fresh
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 32 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Tofu filling recipe below
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
For the filling;
- 1 12.3 oz container of Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Break the tofu into large chunks. Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well. Chill uncovered in the refrigerator until it’s cool enough to handle.
Crumble and place in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mash and blend until the mixture has a fine, creamy, grainy texture similar to ricotta or cottage cheese.
For the Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large pot over medium heat sauté spinach, onion, oregano, basil and garlic in the olive oil. Pour in spaghetti sauce and water; simmer 20 minutes.
- Place a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a lasagna pan. Place 4 uncooked noodles on top of sauce and top with layer of sauce. Add 4 more noodles and layer with 1/2 sauce and 1/2 tofu mixture, noodles and repeat until all is layered, finishing with sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 55 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.